Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Late Bloomer

     It was in the begining of our marriage (almost 13 years ago) that I developed an extraordinary interest with books.  I was in my late 30's and I find it unusual because I really never had the inclination for books while growing up.  It was through the influence of my sister-in-law Chari and my growing desire to read to my daughter Ali that I started to buy books.  It was a delight for me to receive books as gifts from Chari.  They were books on parenting and women empowerment.
     I didn't really grow up being surrounded by books.  I don't even remember owning a story book when I was a child.  I only had the text books that were used inside my classroom.  And because I was more intimidated with big words rather than ever being enthralled with stories, I stayed away from books.
     Today, I delight myself with every treasure hunt for books from the leading bookstore to the ones that sell second hand or in booksales.  It is through reading that I understand myself better.  I begun to put words and understanding to my feelings and experiences.  The fun part of it all is that at my young age of 42, I enjoy children's books and the cool teen books.  But what I mostly love are books that inspire me to be a better mom.  I am a sucker for those topics.  Aside from parenting books, I enjoy reading about women empowerment, manners and etiquette,true stories of courage and valour.  I devour myself with all that could develop myself intellectually, spiritually and socially.  I sometimes wonder why I didn't have this thirst for knowledge while I was still n school. Wish I could go back and bring with me the enthusiasm for learning.  Wow!  Maybe I could change the course of my life.  I feel I am such a late bloomer...  but God's timing is perfect.  With Him, not a day is wasted.  So, I celebrate my passion to learn everyday.  I believe that as a mom, I hold the greatest influence with my children.  I am just grateful that I can introduce them to books, to learning, to endless possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. I feel so lucky now that there are so many more books I can share with my kids. While we were growing up in the Philippines, our choices were so limited. But now, there is so much available for them, and us too.

    Happy New Year, Ana!

    ReplyDelete